Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Quick and CLEAN Salad

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I posted a recipe on here and I apologize for that.  Life has just been busy with Easter break for the girls and then I got a bad case of Vertigo.  But feeling much better today and thought I would share a recipe I came up with.

Oh...

Something NEW in our house I haven't shared.  We are trying to eat CLEAN.  We've been trying to get in shape, eat healthy and loose weight for a trip to Italy this Summer!  But it hasn't been the best journey and now we are getting CLOSER to our trip and haven't really lost weight much.  So we did some research for a while and have been thinking about a Paleo or Clean Diet.  As you know I try to use Organic food as much as possible.  Well now we are trying to also take out SUGAR and just eat "God food". Which means a LOT of prep work on my part, but I know it's a good choice and I think we're going to stick to it for a while and see how it makes us feel... and look!  :)

So, in an effort to eat this way I came up with a GREAT salad tonight for dinner!


I know this isn't the best picture, I just took it on my iPhone.  But I wanted to post it b/c I had a few ladies on FB ask me for the recipe for the homemade salad dressing.  We all know the dressing MAKES the salad.

But before I give the recipe out for the dressing, here's what I did to make the salad:

I bought a Flank steak and grilled it with just salt and pepper on both sides and then sliced it into thin slices.  I used Romaine baby and regular lettuce and cut up an avocado.  Then I added some cauliflower and a bit of Feta cheese.  I'm not 100% sure the feta is considered CLEAN but I'm doing the best I can here and I'm not going to sweat the small stuff.  I figure if I get to 95% CLEAN eating, we're doing pretty darn good!

So now for the salad dressing:

Herb Mustard Vinaigrette:

1 Tsp. minced garlic
2 Tsp. minced shallot
2 Tbls. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 Tsp. dried orgegano
2 Tsp. dried parsley
1/4 Cup red wine vinegar
1 1/3 Cup EVOO
3 Tbs. grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper to taste

I put the 1st six ingredients into a blender and blended until smooth.  Then I slowly added the olive oil until it was incorporated.  Lastly, I added the parmesan cheese and salt & pepper.  Pulse it a few more times and your done.  I poured it into a glass jar to keep in the fridge.  I'm not sure how long it will keep in there, but I imagine at least a week.  This is a salad dressing recipe I got years ago at California Pizza Kitchen and I've made it a LOT over the years because it has such a rustic flavor I just love.

I have to say, this salad with the steak and dressing was GREAT!  I'm not usually big on steak in my salad and quite frankly can't even remember if I've ever made a steak salad before.  But the flavor of the flank steak with the salad and dressing and chunks of avocado were SO good.

Hope you like it.  I'm glad to be back at it and hoping there isn't such a big gap between posts...

Have a GREAT night and I'd love to hear back from anyone that tries my recipes.

Laura





No comments:

Post a Comment