Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Cookie for anytime of year!

When I first made these cookies I found on Pinterest, it was the Holidays.  So I thought about waiting to post this recipe until we approached next Christmas Season, but then I thought "Why?  This is my new FAVORITE cookie... why wait a whole year to make them again?"

So here it is:



I found this recipe on Pinterest and I've linked the original poster of this recipe above.

I don't know about you, but I always seem to have left over candy canes that I end up putting in the freezer and saving.  So I figured this might be a good time to get those out and make these for a Valentine's Day treat!!    I mean, I like peppermint all year round and I don't know why we have to "save" it for Christmas...  So I'm turning them into my Valentine's Day cookie for the girls!

Here's the recipe:

  • Cream until fluffy:
  • 1 C butter
  • 1 C brown sugar
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • Add:
  • 1 1/2 C flour
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 C regular oats (not instant)
  • 1 C Andes Peppermint Baking Chips or other chip. (mint or white chocolate)
  • 2 C white chocolate, almond bark or Wilton Vanilla Melts for dipping
  • Crushed candy cane for sprinkling.
I  didn't use Andes Chips or bark, I just bought Ghiradelli (or you could use Nestle) White Chocolate Chips for both the chips to go inside and for melting on the outside.  You'll need at least 2 bags.


Instructions:

  • Cream together butter and sugars. Add in the vanilla and eggs.  Combine the dry ingredients and mix in.  Add in white chocolate chips.  Dough can be formed into a roll and refrigerated or frozen or baked right away.  Use a scoop or spoon to shape dough into a ball and place on cookie sheet.  These are somewhat big cookies, so I could only make about 8 per cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until light brown on the edges and cooked through.

  • After they are completely cooled, you can add the melted chocolate and the crushed candy canes.  I like to put the candy canes in a small ziploc baggie and take a big mallet and pound on the bag until they are crushed.  The kids love to do this part and I just make sure the bag is sealed and I put a towel on top of the bag so the bag doesn't explode!  Then melt the white chocolate until a nice smooth  consistency.  I like to put the choc. chips in a 2 cups glass measuring cup and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Then I take it out, stir and repeat for another 30 seconds.  This usually takes about 4-5 times before it's all melted, but it's best to do it in short segments so the chocolate doesn't burn.  When it's all melted, dip one end of the cookie into the chocolate about 1/3 - 1/4 of the way, depending on our much chocolate you want on each cookie.  Lay on a parchment lined cookie sheet or on the countertop and sprinkle with crushed candy cane.  Allow to set up... or not,  if you LOVE warm melted white chocolate.  (yes, I think I ate more in this state than the finished state :)  Here's a picture of the ones I made:


My overall review is:  

Preparation:  EASY
Directions: TRUE TO WORD
Presentation: VERY FESTIVE FOR ANY OCCASION
Flavor: FANTASTIC, a chewy oatmeal cookie with a burst of peppermint and white chocolate
Would I make it again: YES, just counting down the days...

These are GREAT cookies and my mouth is watering just thinking about them.  Unfortunately, I'm trying to shed a few pounds so I will have to wait patiently for Valentine's Day to arrive so I can have a "cheat day" and make these!!

Hope you enjoyed this post, I'm sorry it was a while in between this and my last one.  I was in Las Vegas enjoying some of my FAVORITE food and lost track of time...  I will talk more about one of those experiences next week and you will NOT want to miss it.  It's my ALL TIME FAVORITE DESSERT, and I have the recipe!!!  It's an amazing dessert from one of the TOP restaurants in Las Vegas and it's their signature dessert... and I scored the recipe!!  (had to pay a little for it, but it was SO worth it! )

I've linked my Pinterest Boards at the top and here for you to check out and start following if you're interested.  I have many interests including food, so maybe you'll find some other inspiration over on Pinterest and you might even want to join me in ITALY each year as I host a weeklong event in Lake Como, Italy!!

Ciao,

Laura

I'll leave you with a photo of my daughter's "thumbs up" on these:









No comments:

Post a Comment